€1million for new Arguineguín School

Mogán have this month awarded the construction work for a new Arguineguín Children’s School utilising an emergency procedure. The project, awarded for the amount of €1,099,762.45, will be co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) by up to 85% within the framework of the ERDF Operational Program for Sustainable Growth 2014-2020. The remaining 15% is to be financed through municipal funds.

The  company awarded has committed to execute the work within approximately 5 months. Thus, over a short period of time, the company will start with the works, around the end of the school year, June, on the site where the new Arguineguín Children’s School will be located –  a plot attached to the current CEIP Playa de Arguineguín.The Arguineguín Children’s School project is included within a defined strategy of Integrated Sustainable Urban Development (DUSI Mogán-Arguineguín), which will focus on regeneration and rehabilitation in the Pino Seco and Arguineguín ravine areas. These projects are to be carried out during the period 2016-2022 and will benefit from €4.25 million in aid from the Operational Program for Sustainable Growth 2014-2020.

Five classrooms and the headmaster’s house, attached to CEIP Playa de Arguineguín school, formerly located on a plot annexed to the educational centre, have already been demolished, having been affected by humidity and general deterioration, being more than 50 years old.

The work will include two sets of infrastructure; The first will accommodate about 100 nursery students from 0 to 3 years old, while the second construction of a new kindergarten classroom, next to the new school, will be for 3 to 6 year-olds.

Onalia Bueno, mayor of Mogán, has said that the future educational centre “is one of the priority projects for this government group and much needed for the population of Arguineguín. This new school will be a pioneer and model in the Canary Islands, as it will have, among many other features, energy efficient modular structures.”

The execution and processing of this work has suffered delays and complications throughout. In June 2016, the town hall of Mogán had to request that the Canarian Government suspend subsidiary rules on a part of the urban land where the future Arguineguín school is to be located, as a report from a municipal technician concluded that a part of the land, on which the five classrooms and the house of the master were built, were not correctly demarcated for school use, but instead were classified as waterways and roads.

Bueno concluded her statements by recalling that “this project has been a dense and complicated case, but we have had luck since the school will be a reality during this year 2017, as well as the new classrooms for CEIP Playa de Arguineguín. With this project we also fulfill another electoral commitment that we made to our residents”.