Well, it’s the New Year’s weekend and perhaps you are wondering what there is to do on our sub-tropical winter-sunshine island. There will be celebrations for the start of 2023 across Gran Canaria at most bars and restaurants, with several fireworks displays on offer, the biggest and most popular of which include the main beach in the capital, Las Canteras, and in the south on Anfi Beach, The Faro de Maspalomas lighthouse (where many of the hotels have lavish parties and compete for the biggest displays) and Playa del Inglés. Whatever you do, don’t forget to bring some traditional Spanish flavour to your party, by eating your 12 grapes at midnight! Each one for luck at the toll of the midnight bells to ring in the new year.
Here are just some of the many events planned by the island’s larger towns and continuing into next week. Some municipalities are celebrating New Year as a daytime party so that the whole family can enjoy the festivities together.
Happy New Year to You where ever you might be this New Year’s on Gran Canaria to welcome the New Year 2023 and we hope you enjoy our final weekend of 2022.
The weather forecast by AEMET looks much better for the weekend than it has for the last few days. Sunshine and some cloud cover around some parts of the island with highs of 24ºC in the shade for the southern parts, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, and other coastal areas. Up in the mountains, the daytime and nighttime temperatures are quite a few degrees lower, as it is winter time after all, sending you sunny greetings from Gran Canaria.
• Playa de Mogán on Plaza Doctor Pedro Betancor León. Music by Aquarela Orchestra and DJ from 23:00.
• Casco de Mogán on Plaza Sarmiento y Coto. Musi by Furia Joven and DJ from 00:30.
• Arguineguín on Plaza Pérez Galdós from 00:30 with DJ Sammyto, DJ Dsua ILL Man, DJ Aitor Cruz and Furia Joven.
Mogan Mall (Puerto Rico de Gran Canaria):
• Let it Snow Friday, 30 December between 17:00-20:00 and on 5 January between 11:00-14:00.
• Christmas Market between 2-4 January from 17:00-22:00 and on 5 January from 12:00-20:00.
• Superhero Show on Wednesday, 4 January at 18:30.
Some of the very best bars worth heading for in the south include:
The Blarney Stone
Piccadilly Music Bar
& of course Barbacoa Dinner & Show bar
SAN BARTOLOMÉ DE TIRAJANA
MULTIPLE PLACES TO ENJOY FESTIVITIES IN THE SOUTHERN MUNICIPALITY OF SAN BARTOLOMÉ DE TIRJANA (inc Maspalomas & Playa del Inglés)
*Don’t forget the major fireworks display at midnight down by the Faro de Maspalomas lighthouse!
• Tunte (San Bartolomé): On Friday 30 December, music starts at 19:00 with Armonía Show, at 21:00 Kilian Viera and at 23:00 Yediel. On Saturday, New Year party with Estrella Latina and Star Music after chimes and fireworks at midnight.
• Castillo del Romeral: Tonny Tun Tun and the orchestra Mekanica Tamarindo on Friday, 30 December at 21:30 at Plaza del Castillo Romeral
• San Fernando de Maspalomas: New Year Party on Saturday night by the town hall at Plaza de San Fernando starting at 00:15 with performances by Tony Bob, Los Lolas, and Edwin Rivera.
• On Sunday, 1 January New Year concert at Faro de Maspalomas at 18:00 by Gran Canaria Big Band
• On Sunday, 1 January New Year concert by Edwin Rivera at Plaza de Tunte at 21:00
LAS PALMAS DE GRAN CANARIA
New Year concerts return to the Las Canteras promenade. Las Palmas de Gran Canaria welcomes the New Year once again with live music. A stage set up in the Plaza de Saulo Torón and another in the Jardines del Atlántico with music from 23:14 to 04:00.
There will also be plenty taking a dip in the sea at midnight along Las Canteras beach.
Stage on Plaza Saulo Torón:
23:15-23:50 Mr. Kangrejo
23:50 Concert by Karma
00:00 Fireworks from La Puntilla
00:10-01:30 Karma concert continues
01:30-02:00 Mr. Kangrejo
2:00 a 3:30 Concert by Tabaiba
03:30-04:00 Mr. Kangrejo
Stage on Jardines del Atlántico (Auditorio)
23:15-23:50 Ras SOS DJ
23:50 Concert by Ni Funk Ni Fank
00:00: break for the fireworks from La Puntilla
00:10-01:30 Concerto by Ni Funk Ni Fank
01:30-02:00 Ras SOS DJ
02:00-03:30 Concert by D’Local Groove
03:30-04:00 Ras SOS DJ
OTHER EVENTS IN THE CAPITAL
• The 20th edition of San Silvestre, a solidarity running race for charity takes place in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria every December 31. When there is a sporting event it also means road closures in the area. Departure at 16:00 on Calle León y Castillo.
• Belen de Arena, the sand nativity scene until 9 January 2023. Opening hours every day from 10:00-22:00, except 31/12 and 5/1 from 10:00-20:00
• Children’s spectacle on Wednesday, 4 January at the Auditorio José Antonio Ramos at 17:00
• Planeta Gran Canaria at INFECAR ** Ticketed event**
The 22nd Children’s Festival, ‘Planeta Gran Canaria’ until 4 January 2023 at INFECAR. A Festival promoted by the Cabildo de Gran Canaria and organised by INFECAR. An outstanding fair for all the family with a multitude of different activities aimed at children of all ages. A universe of seven Planeta awaits you with an extensive program of activities and various themes for the whole family. Workshops, theatre, inflatables, little lands, multi-adventure, a skating rink, and much more.
Reserve tickets HERE! (basic price €5).Opening hours From 10:00 to 20:30 (Closed on December 31). On January 1, special hours: from 16:00 to 20:30
• On Friday 30 December, Children’s Christmas Parade at 19:30 on Calle Drago and Plaza de Santiago
• On Saturday:
18:00 Closing Ceremonies of the Holy Door of the Sanctuary Temple of Santiago de Los Caballeros de Gáldar and closing of the Holy Year Gáldar Jacobeo 21·22.
22:30 concert by the singer Tony Tun Tun on Plaza de Santiago
23:50 Show of the New Year’s Eve Chimes show on Plaza de Santiago, broadcasted live by TVE nationally and internationally.
00:30 Plaza de Santiago. New Year’s Eve with the Puerto Rican singer Edwin Rivera and the La Mekánica & Tamarindos Orchestra.
• ‘Flower Week’ decoration and flower exhibition spectacle until 4 January on calle Capitán Quesada and the surroundings of Plaza de Santiago.
From 14:00 to 20:00 at Plaza del Pino and Boulevard del Paseo González Díaz. Live music, bells, parades, and DJ.
The first stage will be located in Plaza del Pino, which will feature live performances by Escuela de Calor, at 14:00 and Armonía Show at 16:00.
At 18:00 the chimes of the Basilica del Pino will start the New Year celebrations, sharing a new year’s experience with places around the world, in other time zones, such as Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Nepal and India, celebrating between 18:00 and 18:30 Canarian time.
Then there will be a parade with the Banda Isleña from the Plaza del Pino to the Boulevard, where DJ Promaster will entertain until 20:00 to end the event. The traffic area of the Teror Town Council, for 2 hours, will cut road traffic at the intersection of the Muro Nuevo so that both the Boulevard and the end of Calle Real are free spaces for fun and dancing.
In case of rain, the party will take place entirely in the Marquee in Plaza de Sintes.
ARUCAS IS CELEBRATING DAYTIME FESTIVITIES FOR THE FAMILIES AS WELL AS FIREWORKS AND MUSIC AT NIGHT
• On Saturday, Daytime New Year’s Eve celebrations from 10:30 with music by Baton Rouge Dixieland, Drawing workshops, Christmas crafts, facepainting (11:00-13:30) Brilli Brilli Party, Photo booth 360, La Pitonisa, and much more.
At 12:00 the spectacle of “D’Artagnan and the three musketeers” Enjoy and bring your grapes to say an early goodbye to the year.
A concert from the band Última Llave on Sunday, 31 December at 17:30 on Calle León y Castillo.
Fireworks at 23:55 from Montaña de Arucas. Orchestra Banda Larga and DJ’s entertaining on Plaza de San Juan from 00:30 and DJ session on Calle León y Castillo at 00:30.
• On Sunday, New Year concert by Non Trubada in Plaza de San Juan at 20:00.
• The Arucas Christmas Train station will be open from December 23 to January 4 from 11:00 to 14:00 and from 17:00 to 21:00. The train leaves every 15 minutes from the Plaza de la Constitución.
• Reyes Magos Market between 4-5 January on Calle Juan de Bethencourt. Opening hours on Wednesday 12:00-22:00 and on Thursday 11:00-22:00.
VILLA DE AGAETE
• On Friday, 30 December, between 19:00 and 20:00, Agaete celebrates the pre-end of the year in Agaete, with Televisión Canaria and residents of the North West enclave. Early festivities in the surroundings of the Plaza de la Constitución to say goodbye to 2022 and celebrate the start of 2023.
• On Saturday, the main day festivities in Plaza de la Constitución from 23:00 with music and after the bells at midnight music by La Década prodigiosa and Armonia Show
• New Year Concert on Sunday, 1 January in Puerto de Las Nieves, starting at 18:30. The first sunset concert of the year by Olga Cerpa and Mestisay
Also at 20:30, in the Plaza de la Constitución, New Year’s Concert by the Guayedra Musical Group
• On Monday on Plaza de la Constitución, from 18:30, Camino Viejo Productions presents a spectacle: El País de Nunca Jamás, Neverland
VILLA DE MOYA
On Friday, a concert by the Family Soul Band at Plaza del Árbol Redondo at 21:30
On Saturday, Moya will finish 2022 in style with daytime celebrations.
Starting at 12:00 noon with children’s activities for the little ones in the family and gastronomy on calle Miguel Hernández enlivened by DJ Ulises Acosta.
at 14:00 the series of concerts will begin on stage by the church: Kilian Viera, then La Trova at 15:00, Los 600 at 17:00
At 19:00 the New Year chimes and time to eat 12 grapes with music by Aseres
Bouncy castles and Christmas-themed workshops for children starting at 18:00 and at 18:30 clown show.
at 21:00 Valsequillo starts New Year festivities with live performances from Carmelo Torres, a show from Yanely Hernández, DJ and Armonia Show orchestra.
At midnight New Year chimes at Plaza de Tifaritti.
AND FEW MORE ...
• VALLESECO celebrates daytime New Year festivities starting at 11:30 at Plaza municipal with children’s entertainment, at midday chimes and grapes followed by bouncy castles and workshops, and a concert by Los 600.
• INGENIO Fun with the family to be enjoyed in Parque del Buen Suceso in Carrizal between 10:00-14:00. Lively little street parade with Batucada Samba Isleña from 10:00-11:00 from Plaza del Buen Suceso to the park. Between 10:00-14:00 Workshops and bouncy castles. Clown Zapito 11:00-12:00, Circus Totó 12:00-13:00 and much more …
On Saturday night, New Year parties with music between 23:30 – 06:00 in two places; Plaza de Candelaria and by the town hall.
• SANTA LUCÍA DE TIRAJANA celebrates New Year on Saturday night with a big Party in La Karpa- Vecindario. This big party is only for over 18 and the €5 tickets are already sold out at entrees.es