Always around this first weekend of February, on Gran Canaria, one of the most beautiful villages in Spain, Tejeda, celebrates their traditional and very popular Almond Blossom festivities. The weather around this time of the year can also be a bit hard to predict, and as we have experienced over recent days, the nights can be a touch nippy, particularly up in the mountains.
Just one week to go before the spring Carnival season starts, on Friday 10 February. The first to costume up for the annual festivities will be Las Palmas de Gran Canaria and then Gáldar, followed by Agüimes the next day.
Along with Almond blossom, there is a KM.0 fair taking place in Moya this weekend, Ingenio are celebrating their patron saint’s fiestas, the lovely little neighbourhood of El Pajar are commemorating their patron saint too and there are various monthly markets to explore in La Aldea and at the British club in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria.
10 Feb – 5 March • Carnaval Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
10-25 February • Carnaval Galdár
11 Feb – 5 Mar • Carnaval Agüimes
4-5 March • European Cheese Fair in Tejeda
10-12 March • XIX Southeast Fair in Carrizal
9-19 March • Maspalomas International Carnival
23-26 March • Costa Mogán Carnival 2023
Upcoming bank holidays:
Tuesday 21 February is a local bank holiday in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Santa Brígida, Valleseco, Teror, Tejeda, Santa María de Guía, Moya, Arucas, Firgas: Shrove Tuesday – Martes de Carnaval.
Thursday 23 February is a local bank holiday in Agüimes: Carnival Thursday – Jueves de Carnaval.
*** Check out the regular listings and markets and a range of other events, including carnivals on our main calendar at The Canary Guide website***
Almond Blossom Festival in Tejeda 4-5 February
The 50th edition of ‘Fiestas del Almendro en Flor‘, The Almond Blossom Festival is in the picturesque central mountain village of Tejeda. The main festive days are celebrated this Saturday and Sunday.
This is one of the most popular festivities during the winter season on Gran Canaria and is one of the most wonderful events to visit at this time of year. Almond trees blossoming daub the beautiful spring mountain scenery and offer visitors a unique experience most definitely worth a drive along some of the island’s oldest roads through the ancient summits. It will also be the first edition after having been declared one of the Fiestas of National Tourist Interest, back in 2021.
Remember that when a big event takes place in a small mountain village, it can also mean traffic restrictions, several parking areas will have been set up throughout the GC-60, duly signposted, and access to the town centre will likely be restricted.
SATURDAY 4 FEBRUARY – TOURIST DAY:
This is the 7th year that Tejeda is dedicating a day especially to tourism. The local neighbourhood-associations will offer a variety of “Tapas” to taste, typical local foods and local produce like: watercress and chickpea stew, wrinkled potatoes, pumpkin tortillas, roasted pork leg, and sardines, famous for their sweets too, you can expect different homemade cakes and bites, orange liquors, local wines and cheese etc. During the day there will be various Folk Music Groups distributed around the main streets of the village.
at 12:00 in the place called “La Vaguada”: performance of the famous Canarian music band ‘Los Sabandeños’.
at 14:00 on the church plaza, a band of young artists called ‘Tabaiba Project’ performing an interesting mix between Jazz and typical Canarian music, they call it “Jazz Canario Fusión”.
at 15:30 at “La Vaguada” concert by ‘Banda de Agaete’
at 17:00 on the church plaza: cuban rhythms performed by ‘Son Del Caney’
at 20:30 at “La Vaguada” award ceremony and after performance by Los Gofiones, one of the most famous group of tradicional popular music of Gran Canaria. The Day will finish with the party music by Armonia Show and Orchestra La Banda Larga.
SUNDAY 5 FEBRUARY
The second day will be a true sample of culture and Canarian tradition. Artisans, folkloric groups, ventorrillos, typical produce of the area, everyone will meet from the early hours of the day setting up an authentic canvas whose most important element are the people who visit. The day will be enlivened by a multitude of folkloric groups.
Extra buses from GLOBAL bus company, from Faro de Maspalomas(18) and San Mateo (305). Both days: From Faro at 09:30 & 15:00. From Tejeda 11:30. 15:00 & 17:00
See the full program for the festival HERE!
KM.0 Fair Gran Canaria Fair in Moya 4-5 February
The first Km.0 Gran Canaria Fair of 2023 will take place in the municipality of Moya this Saturday and Sunday in Parque Pico Lomito, from 09:00 to 14:00 on both days.
This regular fair, ‘Feria Km.0 Gran Canaria’ is about local produce, everything from Gran Canaria that requires no transport to get here (hence the name).
This edition takes place in Moya, one of the rural host municipalities for these fairs, which also include venues in Telde, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria and Ingenio. Local produce from across the island.
More than 40 agri-food producers from Gran Canaria will meet, once again, at the event that promotes commitment to sustainability, the local economy and the preservation of the landscape in Parque Pico Lomito, just in front of the market place, you can’t miss it with all the flags hanging.
This fair is part of the program for the traditional Patron Saint festivities in honour of Our Lady of Candelaria, Nuestra Señora de Candelaria celebrated between 24 January – 11 February.
On Sunday, there will be a solemn religious function at 12:00 in honour of Our Lady of Candelaria, presided over by the parish priest Roberto Rivero, which will include the participation of the Choir of the Royal Brotherhood of Rocío de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, followed by a religious procession through the streets of the town with the presence of AM Cumbres y Costas, ending with the presentation of the children to the patron saint.
A perfect opportunity to explore the town centre, visit a fair and have a stroll around and taste a bit of authentic culture. Check out the beautiful ravine views from the terrace behind the church “our Lady of Candelaria”.
Fiestas Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria y San Blas 2023 in Ingenio
The municipality of Villa de Ingenio is celebrating the Patron Saint festivities of La Candelaria and San Blas between 24 January – 5 February 2023. “Las fiestas en honor a Nuestra Señora de La Candelaria y San Blas”
Friday 3 February, Día de San Blas:
• Eucharist 19:00 followed by a religious procession with start and finish from Plaza de la Candelaria by the church.
• Night of DJ’s Juacko and Ray Castellano at Plaza de la Candelaria starting at 21:00
Saturday 4 February:
• IV Cart Race Candelaria at 17:00 Plaza de la Candelaria. Route: Calle Luján Pérez (start), Calle Plaza de la Candelaria, Calle José Morales Ramírez, Avda. Candelaria, Calle Fransisco Pérez Ramírez, crossing with Calle Calvo Sotelo.
• Later in the evening, a tribute concert to Juan Luis Guerra and night of 80′ and 90′ music on Plaza de la Candelaria at 21:00.
Sunday 5 February:
• The 2nd Gastronomic day of music, dance, food&drinks between 12:30-16:00 in the tent set up in the Plaza de la Candelaria. The event will feature a cast made by the local catering school, live music from 4 magnificent traditional music groups and bouncy castles and activities for the youngest members of the family between 11:00-14:00.
There is also a FunFair set up on Plaza Adolfo Suárez de Ingenio
On Friday 18:00-22:00
On Saturday, Family day with special prices of €1 except for 2 attractions €2. Open from 18:00-22:00
On Sunday 11:00-14:00 and 18:00-22:00
Demonstration for the hunting dogs in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria 5 February
#NoAlaCaza “SAY NO TO HUNTING”
Every year, the association NAC Platform ‘Plataforma NAC. No A la Caza‘ calls a national demonstration on the first Sunday in February and this year they have once again had the collaboration with the artist Luiso García in the preparation of the illustration for the poster of the call.
In Las Palmas de Gran Canaria the demonstration takes place next to the Biblioteca Insular on Plaza de las Ranas at 11:00.
This year’s challenge is linked to the processing of the National Animal Protection Law and the amendments that try to exclude hunting dogs and other animals dedicated to hunting activities.
The governing PSOE (Spanish Socialist Workers Party) is currently processing the approval of a new Animal Protection Law. This new Animal Protection Law that the PSOE intends to pass throughout Spain only protects companion animals, but dogs used for hunting are totally excluded from this new animal protection law. The PSOE has reached an agreement to leave dogs used for hunting (greyhounds, hounds, setters…) out of this law, these dogs are often the most abandoned, mistreated and needlessly killed in Spain.
In Spain, an estimated 100,000 hunting dogs are abandoned every year. Many of them cannot even be rescued and die in inhumane ways e.g. run over on roads, thrown down wells, tied to train tracks, hung from trees or simply shot. This is the reality of the hunting dogs in Spain and that is why this society has been calling for years for a National Animal Protection Law to protect all animals, but especially these (hunting) dogs due to their total lack of protection and legal neglect.
Santa Águeda Day in El Pajar 5 February
The lovely little coastal population just next to Arguineguin, El Pajar, are celebrating their patron saint, Santa Águeda Day between 4-5 February 2023.
The Feast of St. Agatha is on February 5 and she is the patron saint of Sicily, bellfounders, breast cancer patients, Palermo, rape victims, wet nurses, and many others.
Saturday 4 February:
Children’s animation with a bouncy castle and table games at the plaza from 18:00
Sunday 5 February:
A religious service by the chapel at 11:00, followed by a procession through the streets of the neighbourhood.
Daytime festivities are enlivened by music at 14:00.
“Did you know that there is a lovely little beach at El Pajar, overlooked by what some believe could have been the very first Christian chapel (Ermita de Santa Águeda) ever built on the island, in a cave in the cliffside above the beach?”
La Aldea Market 4 February
On Saturday, a new edition of the monthly La Aldea de San Nicolás municipal market “Mercadillo y muestra de artesanía y complemento” with local produce, artisans and music. The island’s westernmost village-market is held in the open commercial area, offering a day full of activities and which this month will be dedicated to love and Valentine’s Day.
• Between 17:00 to 22:00, craft stalls and accessories.
• The living museums of the Fundación Canaria Community Project of La Aldea will be open to the public and there will be children’s entertainment on Calle Matías Vega starting at 18:00.
• The day will also include a route on the commercial historical memory of the municipality, carried out by the official chronicler Francisco Suárez, which will depart at 17:30 from the square and will cross the neighbourhood and La Palmilla. To participate in this activity (in Spanish), prior registration is required via WhatsApp (until February 1) at 682 225 898.
• Chess lovers will be able to play and put their knowledge into practice in La Alameda starting at 18:00. Pre-registration is not required for this activity.
• The music will come from the hand of Tuna from the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, who will perform at La Alameda starting at 19:15, classic songs such as ‘Clavelitos‘, ‘Cielito lindo‘ and ‘Las cintas de mi capa‘.
• The sweet part of the day will be provided by the San Nicolás Pastry Shop with a tasting of “palm trees that make you fall in love” starting at 19:30.
• The day will be closed by singer Kevin Carballo, member of the Armonía Show, who will offer attendees a tribute concert to the Colombian singer Camilo starting at 20:30 in La Alameda.
Mercadillo Inglés British Club in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria 5 February
On Sunday, The English Market, ‘Mercadillo Inglés’ in the magic garden of plants, pots, butterflies and flowers at the British club in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria hosted by the extraordinary little garden centre “La Casa de Las Semillas”
Between 10:00-18:00, there is a commercial area, garden market, gastronomy, art, and flowers, lots of flowers.
If you would like to know more about membership of The British Club, you can enquire upstairs.
Markets in the south of Gran Canaria
• Friday is always market day in Playa de Mogán in the morning. This popular market is in one of the prettiest fishing harbour towns on Gran Canaria, very popular with tourists.
• On Saturday, the Maspalomas market offers all kinds of textiles, Objet d‘art and other articles, located now in a new venue at Parque Europeo in Playa del Inglés, while the municipal market is being re-built. It is one of the markets most enjoyed among visitors along with Friday’s in Playa de Mogán;
El Mercadillo de Maspalomas is on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 08:00 to 14:00.
• On Saturday in Arguineguín, a small second-hand market on Plaza Negra (the marketplace) in the morning 09:00-14:00 with a wide range pre-loved treasures.
• On Sunday, the “rastro” second-hand market, ****The second-hand market now takes place in the Ciudad deportiva de Maspalomas, next to football field 2 and close to Pepe Chiringo and Parque Sur de Maspalomas.
• This Sunday, the very popular biweekly farmers’ Market, ‘Mercado Agrícola y ganadero de San Fernando‘ will be held in the parking area next to the football Stadium and the municipal offices from 08:00 – 14:00. A chance to purchase fresh, locally-grown food and value-added produce directly from growers or producers — an authentic retail experience.
“MUSICANDO” SERIES IN LAS PALMAS DE GRAN CANARIA
Root music returns to the Doramas park with a dozen concerts scheduled for the new season of “Musicando” that will start with Los Granjeros. “Musicando“- the annual cycle of concerts opens its Spring season in the José Antonio Ramos auditorium at Parque Doramas this Saturday, 4 February.
The capital venue will host scheduled appointments that, in addition to the group from Aruquán, will offer the performances of Caracolas, Ana Carla Maza, Una noche entre boleros (A night between boleros), Mujeres con alma, Pieles, Mayte Martín, Taburiente, Los Sabandeños, Germán López and La Trova. The “Musicando” series of free outdoor concerts (a total of ten) are open for all to enjoy in Parque Doramas (auditorium) in Las Palmas. Music starts at 21:00. Free entry until seats are full.
More than half a century ago the journey of those from Montaña Cardones began. Their roots, but also social commitment, have marked the rhythm of the Aruquán group’s repertoire that has counted among its ranks famous composers such as Pedro García, Manolo Padrón or Sindo Saavedra. ‘Opresión’, ‘Pena Vieja or ‘Querer renacer’ are some of his songs that have become hymns from the island’s songbook.
A legacy to which Granjeros will add this Saturday a new work that will premiere at the José Antonio Ramos Auditorium. «Sementera» is the name of the album that combines traditional titles with unpublished compositions and by different authors that maintain the essence of the group that currently has 38 members.
Jaz Alice Music
THE 19th HOLE MELONERAS
Bar & Grill in the shopping centre Varadero in Meloneras. Live Music every night from 22:00
The astounding US Rock sensation, now a local star on Gran Canaria, playing out to an international audience and live across the airwaves.
On Saturday at ROCKABELLA in Playa del Inglés at 18:00-21:00 and later at THE SHAMROCK BAR at 22:30
On Sunday at THE SHAMROCK BAR in Puerto Rico de Gran Canaria at 22:30
BARBACOA SHOW BAR – EUROPA CENTRE IN PUERTO RICO DE GRAN CANARIA
Drinks, Food, Children’s play area, piano bar, sports, and much more. and not forgetting the Sunday Roast Dinner from 1pm to 6pm.
Open every day from 08:00-02:00
On Friday: ABBA Gold Tribute
On Saturday: Tom Jone & UB40 Tribute
On Sunday: The Champions Rock’n Roll Show
Barbacoa Piano Bar & Cocktail Lounge Alex Buta from 21:00, Friday to Sunday