Select Page

Cabildo announce changes to reduce massive traffic jams caused by GC1 daytime resurfacing work

Cabildo announce changes to reduce massive traffic jams caused by GC1 daytime resurfacing work

Traffic Jams along GC500 last week

It was announced yesterday that in order to avoid the continued long delays and inconvenience to drivers during the busiest hours at the end of the working day, resurfacing work of the GC-1 between Arguineguín and Pasito Blanco will now finish at 5:00 p.m.

The vice president of the Cabildo de Gran Canaria and public works councilor, Mr Ángel Víctor Torres, has explained that the highway will now be operational at those times, given that between 16:00 and 19:00 traffic is much heavier than usual. Torres has said that during the rest of the day the works are to be carried out without any alterations to the planned traffic arrangements.

Ángel Víctor Torres

The counselor explained that the initial work plan had been to start the work at 9:00 am each morning and continue until 7:00 pm; aiming to finish by this coming Thursday, so now the change of schedule will prolong the works until Friday.

Local residents and regular users of the road between Pasito Blanco and Arguineguín will undoubtedly be relieved after heavy traffic jams were seen all last week along the coastal GC500 road travelling towards Arguineguín, then followed by heavy congestion when the direction of work reversed, to the northbound carriage way travelling towards Maspalomas.

Traffic stretching back to Puerto Rico on Monday Oct 22

Monday afternoon saw tailbacks stretching all the way from Arguineguín to Puerto Rico with no possible alternatives available for motorists, some of whom reported waiting in traffic for up to an hour and a half just to reach Arguineguín, never mind the stretch of road between there and Pasito Blanco.

Faced with criticism from the Mogán local authorities about the daytime work, Ángel Víctor took the opportunity to remind them that the work plan had been well known to the government of Mogán for several weeks.

Some councillors within the Mogán town hall have even admitted that the town council had been given a choice as to whether the work should happen this year, during the day time, or next year during night time, based on budgetary constraints for the current year, so having the option to avoid having to pay higher night time wages; it is said that the current governing group in Mogán chose to get the work done sooner and cheaper.

Mency Navarro

Mogán Councilor for Security, Mencey Navarro, has in turn tried to suggest however that it was citizen pressure that made the people in charge of the Cabildo rethink these decisions, inferring that all responsibility lies at the Cabildo’s door.  It appears that the blame game has started between the various political parties as they each try to suggest it was the others who failed to calculate the misery that would be caused by closing the main arterial route during the working day.


The Cabildo of course is the main island government for Gran Canaria, reporting to the regional government of the Canary Islands, and it is made up of the mayors and councillors of each of Gran Canarias 21 municipalities.  Remember, local elections are coming next year, if you want to have your say about who makes the decisions for your local area, you need to be registered to vote before the end of this year at your local town hall.  All European citizens, including those from the UK, have the right to vote, or even stand, in their local elections.

Mogán now accuses Neighbourhood Food Project of sanitary, technical and social irregularities

The Mogán Town Hall has angrily responded to questions about their surprise decision to evict The Food Project from municipal premises in Arguineguín, accusing the association of various breaches of contract

Is the mayor of Mogán planning to evict The Food Project in Arguineguín?

This afternoon it came to our attention that Item 6 on the Ayuntamiento de Mogán council meeting agenda for (tomorrow) Wednesday August 5th is a sudden proposal, without warning, to evict http://TheFoodProject.es in Arguineguín from the premises where they have been...

All newly clarified Canary Islands safety rules regarding masks, hospitality and drinking on the street

There has been much debate, since the Canary Islands de-escalated from the State of Emergency, between bar owners, hospitality providers, clients, residents and tourists about when and where masks must be used and safety distances maintained.  From the beginning it...

Plot Twist: UK Government suddenly includes Canary Islands in non-essential travel advice

In a sudden and surprising move from the UK, following appeals to exclude Canary Islands from their quarantine requirements, the British Government travel advisory has now been amended, but not as had been hoped for.  The new advice for British travellers is now to...

British Government confirm they are reviewing Canary Islands epidemiological data

The BBC have reported this Monday that The British Government is discussing with the Spanish the possibilities for "air corridors" between the UK and the Canary Islands, although first they want to review the epidemiological data well and will not make an immediate...

Gran Canaria Tourist board working to secure an agreement with the United Kingdom

The Gran Canaria Tourism board have announced that they are working closely with the Government of the Canary Islands to support the regional administration's request to establish safe and direct air-corridors with the United Kingdom, based on the low incidence of...

TUI will resume flights to the Canary Islands from Monday

Tour operator TUI has announced this Sunday that they will be suspending all holiday packages to Spain until August 9, with the exception of those flying to the Canary Islands and the Balearic Islands, to which clients will once again be able to travel starting on...

Canary Islands safe and direct air corridors to the United Kingdom

The President of the Canary Islands, Ángel Víctor Torres, and the Minister of Tourism, Yaiza Castilla, are to hold talks with the Ministers of Foreign Affairs and Tourism, and representatives of the British Government, to try to prevent UK tourists from being...

33 people rescued in a boat adrift 6 nautical miles from Gran Canaria

Salvamento Marítimo (Marine Rescue) on Tuesday night saved 33 people adrift on board an open boat about six nautical miles southwest of Gran Canaria, according to the 112 Canary Islands Emergency and Security Coordinating Centre. Canary Islands 112 were alerted to the...

About The Author

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *