GRAN CANARIA CLOSED THE YEAR WITH ALMOST 600,000 VISITORS FROM THE MAINLAND, A NEW RECORD FOR THE NATIONAL MARKET.
Spanish National tourism to Gran Canaria has broken a new record in 2018 with almost 600,000 visitors, just over a 5% increase over the previous year, although the increase exceeds 10 percent if you take into account the forecast of the full winter tourist season, that is, up to March 2019.
President of the Cabildo, Antonio Morales, pointed out that one of the keys to this result has been in the work towards de-seasonalisation of tourism, as well as work to decentralise Madrid air connections, so that Gran Canaria is now connected with 14 Spanish cities that will increase to 17 with the additions planned for the summer.
The average stay has increased already exceeds eight days and the average total cost is €737 per person.
The bulk of mainland tourists continues to arrive via Madrid, but as direct connections have been established with other points, flights originating in other cities has also increased, so that in 2018 46% came from Madrid and the rest, 54% from other regions of Spain.
Of the total visitors last year 11 percent came from Galicia, Catalonia respectively, 10% from Andalusia, 6% from Valencia and 5% from the Basque Country. The rest were from Asturias, Castilla-La Mancha and Castilla-León.